Friday, December 14, 2007


Not since Louden Swain dropped to 168lbs to wrestle Brian Shute has anyone been crazier for changing weight classes.

Yet that’s exactly what Michael “The Count” Bisping plans to do: Drop to 185lbs and set his sights on middleweight deity Anderson “The Spider” Silva.

From UFC.com:

Dana thought it was a great idea, he said I’d be ‘a monster’ down at middleweight. In fact all sorts of people like Rampage (with whom Bisping is close) were telling me this was the best thing for my career. Really, I knew middleweight was the place to be. When I went to train with Rampage in America over the summer, when we’d go eat he’d have half a lettuce leaf; I’d have a pizza or a couple of foot-long Subways and a couple of sneaky cookies.

Sneaky cookies notwithstanding, dropping to middleweight could inject new life into the 14-1 Brit. After a split-decision loss to Rashad Evans at UFC 78: Validation (the first of his professional career) “The Count” was still unsure about whether or not to change weight classes.

His camp was not:

Even though I train as hard, if not harder, than anyone else for a fight, I wasn’t making sacrifices like other fighters do. I’ve had world class nutritionists like (boxer) Ricky Hatton’s strength coach Kerry Kayes tell me I could be so much stronger at middleweight, so I was getting this same advise from all sides.

Look for the new and improved Bisping to re-emerge sometime this spring. Hopefully he can find the improvement he’s looking for. I don’t want to use a chum reference here but there are plenty of gifted strikers in the middleweight division just waiting for new blood.

And it’s not like he has to fight Anderson Silva right out of the gate. I’m sure guys like Rich Franklin and Dan Henderson would be more than accommodating.

Godspeed Mike!

No comments:

Google