Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Latest in the UFC

First off, Chuck Liddell is injured and won't be fighting Rashad Evans. How convenient! jk He really does appear to be hurt.

Chuck Liddell injury

This picture is worth a thousands words for all the critics who incorrectly surmised that f
Word on the street is Bisping vs. Leben the same night to help make up for it, but that won't be a main event fight, they're looking into that still. Still, Leben, who always draws controversy and is usually on the winning or losing end of a KO, is a very exciting fighter and Bisping, who dishes it out on the feet, needs prove he's ready for a shot at Anderson Silva and this would be a good fight to showcase him and build up the cred required to take on the Spider.
bisping leben

Secondly, Din Thomas is dropping down to 145 to get out of the LW division which is so crowded with potential contenders that it just doesn't make sense to stick it out since a guy like him needs about four or five wins in a row just to climb back up (he's dropped two fights).

Din Thomas

“The UFC’s lightweight division is the most complex division in the world. There’s like four different roads to a title shot going on right now and within any of the roads, no one can afford to lose. While I know I can win against any lightweight in the world on a given day, I fell twice in a row. Therefore, I’m going to bow out. Good luck to those guys. I’m going to drop down to 145 lbs and see if those guys down there will embrace me.”


Third, "big ups" to my bud Chris for letting me stop by to see the GSP fight and for going back and letting me watch the highlights of the card. UFC 83 was not the most spectacular card ever, but there was some very good fights and, most importantly, GSP is back on top and ready for Jon Fitch who is only the second fighter ever to go 8-0 in the UFC (he's won 15 in a row if you count his previous seven bouts before entering the UFC). Fitch poses a serious threat to GSP in all areas except striking which I think GSP has a clear advantage. Fitch has a strong wrestling background and has pulled off a few wins by submission in the UFC. He beat Diego Sanchez but not necessarily in a dominant fashion which leads me to believe GSP should be able to handle him. Fitch has been talking some $%&# lately about GSP because he wants to hype this up. His prediction about a fight with St. Pierre: "I'll take the strap [belt]."

The UFC 84 official website is up and Gmail - Compose Mail - djtodd@gmail.comrunning CHECK IT OUT HERE. This is a card I am not going to miss. I think it's solid, top to bottom. Check it out:

Main Card

Preliminary Card

Image:UFC 84 - Ill Will.JPG


Finally, Hughes still wants a piece of Serra which isn't suprising. I think it'd be a fairly easy fight for Hughes and come on! He hasn't forgotten all the crap Serra was spewing!

“GSP had a good game plan to take Matt Serra down and wear him out. I found myself rooting for Serra at the end of the second round, I wanted him to make it to the third round. I thought if it would get to the third round GSP would decide to stand up with him and possibly knock him out. I just wanted Matt to get beat on for five rounds, not just two; but I knew the ref was about ready to stop it. The UFC said that if Serra loses I get him, but I don’t know when that will be. I’m going to guess six to eight months, so I’ve found myself watching my diet and exercising more.” -Matt Hughes


--
A fool dreams of wealth; a wise man, of happiness.

No comments:

Google