Thursday, September 11, 2008

Georges St Pierre Training BJJ in Brazil

Gspbjj_medium
Bad news welterweights, UFC champ Georges St. Pierre is down in Brazil again working on his jiu jitsu and grappling:

I started training immediately the next day, because that's the purpose of my trip - training. The classes at Gracie Barra Academy were under the supervision of Jefferson, a former world champion in BJJ, who is an excellent instructor, by the way. Jefferson taught me a lot of new tricks and he helped me change a lot of bad habits that I was doing in the past on the ground. It was my 2nd time at Gracie Barra & my 2nd visit to Brazil - this time I came alone with no friends from Canada - it was actually very good for my Portugese because I was forced to speak the language of the country. I was training also with my friend Gustavo Machado and Aloiso Barros, who is supposed to fight 9/13 in Montreal. I also had the chance one of my friends from my last trip to Brazil, Master Roberto Leiton, who came from a background of luta livre. Luta Livre is a martial art similar to jiu jitsu, but without the gi/kimono. I met with Mr. Leiton one night and for a couple of hours, he showed me some really great grappling techniques that will make me a better fighter, without a doubt. He told me he's coming out with a book that has all this stuff in it, and I plan to buy a copy when it's available.

This is just one of the many things that separates the truly great athelete from the near great. GSP continually leaves his comfort zone, seeks out the best training partners anywhere in the world and learns. It's not just BJJ and Luta Livre either, I found some shots of GSP training Savate in Brazil as well. They're in the extended entry.

Continue reading this post »

No comments:

Google