Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Kimbo Slice" prepared to utilize ground skills against Ken Shamrock

With "EliteXC: Heat" just three weeks away, one of the evening's main-event competitors may be taking a less-than-expected approach to the bout.

In a recent media conference call, street-fighting-legend Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (3-0) said he intends to use his grappling technique to defeat Ken Shamrock in their CBS-broadcast bout.

"Being a good grappler like myself -- against a supposed-to-be striker like Ken -- I'll try and break his leg," Slice quipped in regards to his strategy.

Conventional logic has dictated that the heavy-handed Slice would do everything in his power to remain standing against the submission-savvy Shamrock. Slice insists he is unconcerned with his 44-year-old opponent's ground prowess.

"As far as the ground is concerned -- being a good grappler like myself -- if Ken wants to take it to the ground, I'm going to mangle him up," Slice said.

While perhaps more pre-fight posturing than actual game plan, Slice's acceptance of a ground battle with Shamrock could certainly be construed as disrespect. The brawler insists that is not the case, and that he considers Shamrock a viable opponent.

"I'm getting ready to fight the world's deadliest man," Slice said. "That's a big responsibility for my little black ass to fight a guy like Ken Shamrock. This guy has the ability to really [expletive] somebody up. He could break a leg and end somebody's career. So I'm not taking this [expletive] lightly. This is not a joke to me."

Slice went on to say he considers it an honor to be in a fight with the UFC and Pancrase legend.

"I'm honored to fight Ken Shamrock," Slice said. "I'm bragging about it. I'm excited about it.

"The respect I have for a legendary fighter like Ken Shamrock, it's a lot of respect. To lose to Ken Shamrock to me is not a bad thing. But to kick his ass is the preferred thing. Either way, I look at it in a good way."

Shamrock and Slice, polar opposites in many ways, are also on a very different path in their careers. Slice has won the first three bouts of his not-yet-one-year-old MMA career, while Shamrock has lost five-straight fights in the tail end of his storied 15 years in the sport.

Slice doesn't see either pattern changing.

"This (fight) is going to keep streaks the way they are," Slice said. "Ken's going to stay on his streak, and I'm going to stay on mine."

Whatever the final strategy for Slice turns out to be, the Florida-native looks forward to a scrap.

"I enjoy doing what I do," Slice said. "I just want Ken Shamrock to come with the intent of kicking my ass. I want a guy to try and kick my ass. Knock me the [expletive] out. Try and knock me out. Try and break my leg.

"Do it, because I'm going to damn sure try."

No comments:

Google