Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fighters Speak out About Rampage

Tim Sylvia, Michael Bisping, Chuck Liddell, Dana White and Marc Ratner comment on Rampage Jackson situation
By: Mike Trask

In a chat with the Las Vegas Sun today UFC Vice President of Government and Regulatory Affairs, Marc Ratner, said the company was “still gathering information” on Quinton “Rampage” Jackson’s strange behavior over the past several days.

In the two days since the 30-year-old fighter was arrested following a hit and run accident in California the UFC has been virtually mum. However, several media outlets reported that UFC President Dana White flew to California to bail out the former champ.
And while in the “Golden State” White was interviewed by a radio station called KLOS. Here’s what he had to say via Yahoo!Sports.com:

“I’m actually here right now, I’m in Southern California. I’ve been dealing with this all day yesterday, I haven’t really gotten to the bottom of this yet. I don’t know what I’m going to do about it yet. Last night when he got out, Rampage is very religious … yeah I’m dealing with it…. It’s not really about a fine. At the end of the day, we care about these guys. A lot of these guys are our friends. I want to find out what’s wrong with Rampage and get him taken care of.”
A day after the arrest (and White’s interview), Jackson was involved in another situation with police that led to him being taken to see mental health professionals.

UFC.com has no mention of the arrest.

In addition, in an ESPN.com chat today Tim Sylvia fielded a question about the recent legal problems encountered by Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.
Both Sylvia and Jackson are former UFC champions.

“I feel for Rampage. I’ve been there. Unfortunately, he’s handled it differently than others have. My heart goes out to him. I wish I could go and take him and bring him to Iowa and help settle him down. He’s a friendof mine.”
Sylvia also spoke about his training and preparation for his Saturday fight with Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction: “Banned.”

Former UFC light heavyweight champion, Chuck Liddell, also weighed in on the topic in a recent TMZ.com interview. Jackson defeated Liddell to capture the 205-pound crown.
Here are his thoughts:
“I know Rampage in and out of the ring. He is a great showman in the ring and a smart level-leaded businessman outside of it. I am shocked over this. It’s really out of character for him. I don’t know all the details on what happened, but i just hope everyone involved is ok.”

Finally, his good friend and training partner, Michael Bisping, also shared his thoughts via The Sun on the bizarre string of events that have transpired in the last 48 hours.

Here’s what “The Count” had to say:
“I’m reeling in shock after hearing about Rampage. I’m devastated for him. It’s not like Rampage. He’s a good guy, he’s a law-abiding citizen. I’m very, very concerned for him. He’s a very close friend and this certainly doesn’t sound like him. I’m concerned about what’s going on…. If you lose a fight you’re always very upset but Rampage is experienced — it’s not the first time he’s lost a fight -– he’s been on the scene a long time. Initially he was disappointed at losing but he seemed to take it all in good spirits. I spoke to him last Thursday before I flew back to England and he seemed fine -– the same old Rampage — so I’m shocked and concerned.”
Join the club.

No comments:

Google